Mental Health Complaints Commissioner

Making a complaint

Speak up. Your experience matters.

You have the right to speak up, and to have your concerns heard. Speaking up improves services and experiences for you, and for other people.

Under Victorian law:

  • you have the right to speak up or complain about a public mental health service
  • you can’t be treated unfairly because you make a complaint to us.

How to speak up and make a complaint

  1. You can talk directly with the service.

    Every public mental health service must have a process to help you speak up and raise your concerns.

  2. You can talk with us. We can:


    • help you raise your concerns directly with the service without making a complaint to our office
    • work with you and the service to help resolve your concerns
    • discuss other options, if we are unable to help.

Making a complaint brochure

You can make an enquiry or complaint to us by
Phone: 1800 246 054 (free call from landlines) or 03 9032 3328
Fax: 03 9949 1506

Our office is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.


You can also download the MHCC complaint form and send to us by post, email or fax to let us know the best time to talk about your concerns.

If you would like us to send you our complaint form or if you would like to talk about other options for making a complaint, please contact us.

Who can make a complaint?

Anyone can contact us to talk about their concerns, including:

  • people receiving public mental health services
  • carers, families and friends
  • advocates and mental health workers
  • anyone else who is genuinely concerned about someone’s experience with a public mental health service in Victoria.

We would also like to hear from you if you have had a positive response to making a complaint.

What complaints can we help with?

We deal with complaints about public mental health services in Victoria, including:

  • publicly funded mental health community support services
  • NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme) funded mental health community support services.

We can help with complaints about your experience with a service, including accessing a service, treatment and care. If we can’t help with your concerns, we will do our best to put you in touch with people who can.

What happens if you aren’t the consumer?

Anyone can contact us to discuss how we can help. The Mental Health Act 2014 allows us to accept complaints without the consumer’s consent, if we are satisfied:

  • there are special circumstances and
  • accepting the complaint will not be detrimental to the consumer’s wellbeing.

If you aren’t the consumer, we can:

  • contact the consumer to seek their consent
  • discuss whether special circumstances may exist in your individual case
  • help you explore other options for resolving your concerns.

Complaints and consent information sheet

What happens when you contact us to make a complaint?

When you contact us, we will listen and try to fully understand your concerns. We will ask you:

  • your name and contact details
  • what your complaint is about
  • who is involved
  • what you would like to happen next.

If you have any concerns about sharing this information with us, please let us know.

We will work with you and the service to address your concerns, to safeguard your rights, and to make improvements for other people in the future.

There are a number of ways that we can help to resolve your complaint, including:

  • informal resolution processes
  • monitoring actions taken by services
  • conducting conciliations and providing advice and recommendations to services.

We will also consider whether it’s necessary to conduct an investigation or issue a compliance notice to a service.

We will keep in contact with you while we work to resolve your complaint.

We are accessible

We receive and listen to complaints in any language through interpreters. We will arrange an interpreter at no cost to you when needed.

If you are Deaf or have hearing or speech support needs, please contact us through the National Relay Service or email us. We can arrange an appointment or Skype call with an interpreter at no cost to you.